What is fear of the Unknown? It simply means being afraid of a future anticipated outcome that isn’t a reality yet. Truth is that as humans, we all have fears, some hidden deep inside our hearts, while others showcased as an instinct. Here are over 103+ fear of the unknown quotes from powerful, respected, and inspirational men and women.
What is Fear?
Fear is a common emotion that is felt by most human beings on a daily basis. Major fears range from fear of heights, death, failures, to fear of the unknown.
But one thing we should note is this: The person who succeeds in life is the one who overcomes his fear.
The fear of the unknown is the fear of the future, which is unknown, and usually, fear of nature’s unpredictability. But you should know that there is strength in fear, and when utilized fully, you can easily turn the fear of the unknown into strength. The truth is that fear gives us courage, and the unknown is just an awaiting surprise.
Make sure that you don’t fear the fear because the fear of the fear can one day destroy you without the fear even coming to reality. Stay strong and know that it’s the weak part of your mind trying to limit you. Fear of the Unknown is simply being afraid of something you do not know about, but just speculating.
Best Fear Of The Unknown Quotes.
1. “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” – H.P. Lovecraft, ‘Supernatural Horror In Literature.’
2. “I have discovered that so many times, the thought of fear itself is greater than what the fear contains.” – Idowu Koyenikan.
3. “Fear of the unknown is the root where all hates are born. Fear of the unknown is born of ignorance and fed by those who wish to keep us divided.” – Tinnekke Bebout.
4. “The greatest fear of mankind in life is not of death, but unsolicited change.” – Raheel Farooq.
5. “Fear sees, even when the human eyes are closed.” – Wayne Gerard Trotman.
6. “Fear is the most potent weapon ever introduced and used to control man right from inception.” – Faraaz Kazi.
7. “To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.” – Bertrand Russell.
8. “No, you misunderstood it wrong. You don’t fear change. What you’re actually afraid of, is the unknown. If you knew the future would be great, you’d welcome the change to get there. Well, the future is great. So Welcome it and proceed.” – Joe Vitale.
9. “The one permanent emotion that controls the inferior man is fear. These include fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is guaranteed safety.” – H. L. Mencken.
10. “Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear that supersedes all other fears.” – Yvon Chouinard.
11. “In life, it is possible to conquer all fears, but only if you make up your mind to do so. Always remember this. Fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind.” – Dale Carnegie.
12. “We all have a fear of the unknown what one does with that fear will make all the difference in their world.” – Lillian Russell.
13. “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt.
14. “There is always the fear of the unknown.” – Berhan Ahmed.
15. “For I give you not the spirit of fear, but of a sound mind.” – The Holy Bible.
16. “Most people talk about fear of the unknown. However, if there is anything to actually fear, it is the known.” – Deepak Chopra.
17. “Inaction breeds doubt, and fear while taking action breeds confidence and courage. To conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and take action by getting busy.” – Dale Carnegie.
18. “Fear opens the pathway to the Dark Side. Fear’s pathway includes anger, and anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda.
19. “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” – J.K. Rowling.
20. “Taking a new step in an unknown territory, uttering a new word that they haven’t uttered before, is what people fear most.”
21. “Fear of the unknown is our greatest fear. Many of us would enter a tiger’s lair before we would enter a dark cave. While caution is a useful instinct, we lose many opportunities and much of the adventure of life if we fail to support the curious explorer within us.” – Joseph Campbell.
22. “Fear has been known as the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown.” – H. P. Lovecraft.
23. “Almost all fear arises from the fear of the unknown. Therefore, what’s the remedy? To become acquainted with the things you fear the most.” – Peace Pilgrim.
24. “I think fear of the unknown is the scariest thing humans can be scared of.” – Katie Featherston.
25. “The fear of death is far greater than the death itself. But the fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all mankind!” – The Undertaker.
26. “Stress is a false perception of fear of the unknown.” – Debasish Mridha.
27. “One thing we need to know is this. Fears are educated into us and can likewise if we wish so, be educated out.” – Karl Augustus Menninger.
28. “Fear of the unknown is a great creative partner.” – Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.
29. “Fear is not an unknown emotion to us. It affects all mankind from all walks of life. No exceptions.”
30. “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself-and well, maybe the bogey man.” – Pat Paulsen.
31. “There are people with a lot of prejudice, a lot of fear of the unknown.” – Mario Vargas Llosa.
32. “You do not travel if you are afraid of the unknown, you travel for the unknown, that reveals you with yourself.”
– Ella Maillart.
33. “If we fear the unknown then surely, we fear ourselves. Because we don’t know who we’ll be tomorrow”
34. “Do not fear the unknown, because the unknown is an adventure waiting to be explored. Dare to be adventurous in life.”
35. “There is nothing that man fears more than the touch of the unknown. He wants to see what is reaching him and to be able to recognize or at least classify it. Man, always tends to avoid physical contact with anything strange or something they don’t know anything about.” – Elias Canetti.
36. “Humans shouldn’t be afraid of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.” – Pope John Paul II.
37. “I don’t know what I don’t see, what I don’t fear!” – Henry James, ‘The Turn Of The Screw’.
38. “Evolution and a better future lie in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life, who embrace the unknown.” – John Lennon.
39. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark, but the real tragedy of life is when fully grown humans are afraid of the light.” – Plato.
40. “He who has learned how to overcome his fears, is the one who will truly be free.” – Aristotle.
41. “Courage is knowing what not to fear.” – Plato.
Interesting Fear Of The Unknown Quotes.
42. “Just as when we come into the world, when we die, we are afraid of the unknown. But the fear is something from within us that has nothing to do with reality. Dying is like being born: just a change.” – Isabel Allende, ‘The House Of The Spirits.”
43. “Truth is that Humans are not afraid of the unknown, it’s only when the unknown becomes known that one can decide whether to be afraid of it or not.” – Markus Peterson.
44. “What you don’t know will certainly hurt you.” – Jim Rohn.
45. “Certainly, a girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her” – Marilyn Monroe.
46. “People have a hard time letting go of their suffering because they are afraid of the unknown, so they prefer suffering that is familiar.” – Thich Nhat Hanh.
47. “If you let fear of the unknown stop you from taking chances, you will suffocate your true potential and never realize just how great you WOULD have been.”
48. “We do not have a fear of the unknown. What we fear is giving up the known and embracing the future.”
49. “A journey to the unknown shores needs a port, a ship, a wind; but more important than all of them: courage; courage to leave the known to explore the unknown!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan.
50. “We do not fear the unknown. What we are truly afraid of, is what we think we know about the unknown.” – Teal Swan.
51. “Fear not the unknown. It is a sea of possibilities.” – Tom Althouse.
52. “Only the unknown frightens men. But once a man has faced the unknown, that terror becomes the known.” – Antoine De Saint-Exupery.
53. “Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity to seek the unknown.” – Danny Gokey.
54. “A fear of the unknown keeps a lot of people from leaving bad situations to seek new better opportunities.” – Kathie Lee Gifford.
55. “Find out what you’re afraid of and go live there.” – Chuck Palahniuk.
56. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide.
57. “Seeing what scares you for what it does not lessen the terror. It still has the power to break your heart, over and over again.” – Teri Terry.
59. “It’s a lot easier to understand things once you have name them. It’s the unknown that mostly freaks me out. I don’t know the name of that fear, but I know I’ve got it, the fear of the unknown.” – Carrie Jones.
60. “The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will certainly succeed in any endeavor he ventures into.”
61. “I view it as one of the greatest crimes to shadow the minds of the young with these gloomy superstitions, and with fears of the unknown and the unknowable to poison all their joy in life.” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
62. “Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others. – Robert Louis Stevenson.
63. “Don’t be intimidated by what you don’t know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else.” – Sara Blakely.
65. “Fear of failure and fear of the unknown are always defeated by faith. Having faith in yourself, in the process of change, and in the new direction that change sets will reveal your own inner core of steel.” – Georgette Mosbacher.
66. “One who fears failure limits their activities. If there is one thing which I would banish from the earth it is fear.” – Henry Ford.
67. “From the fear of the unknown, both horns and wings have grown and sprung.” – Chris Murphy.
68. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” – Nelson Mandela.
69. “Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” – Corrie Ten Boom.
70. “Making your unknown known is one of the most important thing.”
71. “To me art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can be explored only by those willing to take the risk to explore it.” – Mark Rothko.
72. “You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.” – Denis Waitley.
74. “Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
75. “Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.” – George S. Patton.
76. “To conquer the unknown, you must first, trust.” – Harbhajan Singh Yogi.
77. “The unknown is, and will always be frightening.” – Naveen Andrews McGill.
78. “There’s always the risk that there are unknown unknowns.” – Nate Silver.
79. “Since the future is unknown, in every step forward we walk to the unknown!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan.
80. “You’ve got to bumble forward into the unknown.” – Frank Gehry.
81. “Going into the unknown is how you expand what is known.” – Julien Smith.
82. “A hero is somebody who voluntarily walks into the unknown.” – Tom Hanks.
83. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” – Mark Twain.
84. “In skating over thin ice, our safety is in our speed.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
85. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
86. “He of whom many are afraid ought to fear many.” – Francis Bacon.
87. When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest”. – Henry David Thoreau.
88. “He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
89. “I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today!” – William Allen White.
I hope that through these quotes from great women and men, you’ll come to understand that being afraid of the unknown is normal, but to be great, to be different, to stand out in the crowd, you have to let go of this fear before reaching your full potentials.